Monday, February 21, 2011

Facebook, Ringette, and A Whole Lot of Mojo

Life is compiled into a serious of moments. As I have discovered some of our experiences seem to be frozen in time. This is a story about one of those moments.

After several months of contemplation I did it. I signed up on Facebook. The reason? After my cell phone purchase and the sales person nearly having melt down as to why I wasn't on Facebook, I thought I should check out.

It didn’t take too long until I was in the middle of a happy reunion with my Ringette team. One night we burned up cyberspace for nearly six hours, by the time I logged off I was experiencing vertigo.

When our team was formed - a long time ago - we were the only one in our area. To play a game we had to drive at least an hour or more. Then we would get our butts whipped. Literally. The teams we played were exceptionally good at pushing their sticks on the backs of our skates and down we would go. Clever little trick for a game with no body contact.

Somewhere in our career Boissevain hosted the Westman Games. The Ringette finals were scheduled on home ice. My Sunday School teacher’s husband was also the local sports reporter. At that time The Boissevain Recorder was a nationally recognized rural newspaper. The International Turtle Derby was at the height of its existence. The sports commentator’s opinion had influence. We found that out the hard way. Prior to the start of the Games he crucified Ringette in one of his write ups.

I have never admitted this until now but it confused me as to why my Sunday School teacher’s husband was behaving that way. Wasn’t she teaching us the opposite kind of thinking and behavior?

What happened the day of the gold medal game was pretty amazing. Even more outstanding was our team being in the finals. The arena, not a word of a lie, was filled to the brim with spectators. A lot of pressure for a group of girls. It was also warm outside which meant the ice was melting not only on the surface but from the roof as well. We weren't just dodging rings, we were on the run from buckets of ice water falling on us!

Like a true Disney story, the game was tied up, everyone of us was soaking wet, and with a few minutes left on the clock in the third period Kai made this amazing deek outside our zone by the boards on the left side, passing the ring up and viola we scored; winning the gold medal. I can see that move today. 

After that Ringette took off. My sister’s team followed behind and their group was very competitive. Today, in that area of the province, the game is not around. My sister and my cohorts have enrolled their girls in hockey and who knows where these young ladies will take their possibilities... now a days they can, if they wish, dream of the Olympics.

This is a story about a group of girls who had some kind of mojo going on, who broke boundaries, and have continued to defy the odds – all of us - in one way or another ever since.

As I watched the text roll across the page that night on our Facebook marathon all I felt was joy. Some talked about the gold medal game, I dug out the picture and my year books, others talked about the uniforms and the jackets and how wearing those outfits made them feel – mine is in a closet somewhere, others chatted about the number of times we were billeted and one of us was still playing.

Despite all our differences as individuals put us together and we bond like crazy glue. The energy takes off like a rocket. Being on Facebook has rekindled a whole lot of possibilities especially with these women, and who knows where that will lead to, I for one am looking forward to the adventure.

Life is a series of moments where we have the choice to move from the mundane into something completely extraordinary. Do you stand still – listening to the nay Sayers - or do you jump in with your complete being and enjoy the ride?

ThInQ About It?



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: